Our Lady’s Carillon

  • Number of bells: 23 (two octaves, omitting two bass semitones)
  • Heaviest bell: tuned to F#, 17 cwt (870 kg)
  • Transposition: up 6 semitones (F#)
  • Practice clavier: none
  • Construction: 1932, Gillett & Johnston
  • Current carillonneur: Michael Boyd
  • Address: Our Lady of the Rosary and St Therese of Lisieux RC Church, Parkfield Road, Saltley, Birmingham, B8 3BB (view on Google Maps)
  • Technical information about the bells: See relevant Dove’s Guide entry


The inspiration for a carillon at Saltley came from a similar instrument installed in 1928 at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church at Dumbarton. 23 bells were cast on various dates between July and December 1932, long before the purpose built tower was finished in October 1933. They were cast at the Croydon bellfoundry of Gillett and Johnston, Ltd. The angelus was heard for the first time on May Day, 1933 although the construction of the whole church was not completed until June 1934. The inauguration of the carillon was by Clifford E. Ball the eminent carillonneur at Bournville and the bells were broadcast from the Midland Regional Station on the evening of the day the church was opened.